Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Medivac T-Shirt design

I got asked to do a T-shirt design for an Army helicopter medivac unit in Korea. Few guidelines except a wounded soldier, an angel lifting him up and a helicopter. I went with a bolder more graphic style because it will stand out more on a shirt and be easier to print and well, it just happened to fit in the style I was working in at that time. The unfortunate thing is that I was given this assignment while in the middle of moving to LA.

So, I only had a couple hours here and there to work on it as if you have anything to do in LA it will take you an hour to get there regardless of the time or distance unless it takes you more than that. I spent, and I kid you not, 30 minutes on Hollywood Blvd for a job interview an only went a quarter of a mile. Even with GPS saying it is 8 miles away it also reminds you estimated time is in 45 minutes, which I am finding actual traveling time is double what the GPS says thanks to never ending traffic. I don't care if it is 3am there are still families walking around and traffic like it is rush hour somewhere. It is at least a bit easier to find parking than San Francisco but that's probably because by the time you get there you pretty much need to leave because it will take you just as long to get back.  So you can blow 5 hours just doing one thing. Doom on you if you need to go anywhere else.

Now much to the fun part of doing this assignment I was given little direction and not much feed back along the way. We'll see what they say in the end. Can't argue with the price they got it at though and you would think military budget is big but the offer for this was for free. Not exactly what I'd like to hear for me to put in time and effort but comp work for something you are connected to and support isn't always bad. My wife is and I was military and this was something I enjoyed doing. Hopefully it will reflect back on my wife in a positive way and it at least gives me the US Army as a client on my resume. I already helped design a Christmas flyer for them and have now let them know continued use of my services and time will need to be compensated. Hell, give me an M-4 I'll take that as payment we can do a barter. I know they have them laying around. Some outdated night-vision  goggles or cool camping gear, a tank or Humvee and you can have me for a year! We'll see if this helps by having a big name albeit government client or if it hurts for the price they retain me at. Either way onward here now in LA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment