Saturday, September 14, 2013

Starting on developing an IP

So, I recently decided to take some good advice and start a blog for my life as an artist. Now I was never sure what to write about but after a bit of inspiration and some decent sketches I decided to put together a potential short story to show case my illustration abilities. I decided to do this at first as a way to potentially standout to art directors but figured beyond that it is a potential IP (intellectual property) development.

I would like to make a hardback storybook in the traditions of the original fairy tales and others like the Monkey King story "Journey to the West". That means while entertaining they had some very dark motifs. Personally I loved the more mature or darker stories when I was young and "Journey to the West" has been one of the most entertaining stories I have read. But not only could I make this storybook to hopefully catch the eye of an art director, it is a possible seller in itself. And if that works out I can create 3D sculptures of the characters as well, prints of the art and other collectables. I can create a whole world and hopefully make a success out of it.

Now here's the challenge I think most can relate to: I am not a professional artist. I am not really a student. I have a BFA from a poor university that valued post modern abstract art above all else which means I am pretty much self taught through books and talking to other artists as I grew up a bit before the digital age took hold. (I will discuss what I have learned about art and school along the way.) I move and travel a lot which means limited supplies and time. I like oil paintings but if I started one right now I'd probably move before it dried. I have a family and work 12 hour days in jobs "other than" art. So, I am going this alone in my spare time developing sketches and ideas while on my lunch 1/2 hour or taking breaks. I am trying to be successful at Illustration & Concept Design which was unknown when I was in school. But I think this can be a learning experience for us all.

I will use this blog to document the trails and errors of essentially going it alone and on the move. I will let you know what I find out what works and what doesn't. I will discuss drawing tips I have learned and use and anything new I come across along the way. The use of kickstarter, 3D print companies, publishers and ultimately the success of the work as an IP and being able to catch the eye of an art director (in a positive way) will be explored and tested.

If there are any questions feel free to ask and if you have any advice feel free to share. Artist to artist, or aspiring to be, the best resources I have found are in talking with each other.

Let me tell you the story so far or give you a quick run down of it as I am actually making it up still. I will also be taking you through the development of the art to figure out and achieve the look I am after. Right now I am thinking maybe in the pseudo style of Arthur Rackham and classic illustration since these are the illustrations to the similar style of story I remember from my youth. For now here are some quick sketches developed at work.

The hero to the story will be a rabbit. Nothing outrageous (to start with) just a plain simple rabbit.



 He will be in a world of light and dark, spirits and mythological creatures trying to make his way on a journey to becoming a protector of the forests, the animals and the spirits within it.







These are rough sketches, not all finished and like I said all done at work. Which means no reference and typically in 30 second bursts of adding a line or taking it out then working for a few more minutes then another burst of quick drawing throughout a 12 hour day.

That's the intro for now. My weekend is finally here and it is time to experiment with colours, inks, papers, digital and stylization.

No comments:

Post a Comment